Monday, January 27, 2014

Sketching and Printing

Hello friends,

 Life has been pretty full and busy around here lately, 
and I wanted to share some art related things that I've been up to with you.

I think I mentioned that I was going to take a class called "Love Your Sketchbook".
and the first step was to gather supplies. I found a sketchbook I had started in 2003, 
with only about 4 pages used, so I'm going with that. All I really needed to buy was 
a small box of pastels.
 Rosie, of course,  just had to investigate!


The first class was a combination of very quiet moments while everyone concentrated
 on their drawings, and very loud laughter as we shared comments and stories.


Our instructor is Amy Ropple, who taught the quilt collage class I recently took.
Amy brought Munchkins from Dunkin Donuts for us to sketch first. I call mine a 
'munchkin pancake', since it looks pretty flat!
 Then I sketched a bird from a photo I had brought.


One part of our "homework" was to sketch something realistic, so, while spending some time at my friend Andrea's studio, I worked on a rendering of a pair of antique children's shoes which belong to Andrea. They were so sweet and worn, I had a real feeling for them as I drew in the afternoon sun.


                                  

And, while I was there, Andrea demonstrated how to use my brand new, untouched Gelli Plate, which has been in its original container for over a year!! I'm not one to venture into new things without a boost from someone!! Here is the gelatin plate after a bit of experimenting. (It's on a painted piece of cardboard.)

Here are some prints I made, using leaves, sequin waste and cut paper shapes.
Thank you for the lesson, Andrea!!

                         


Other than that, it has been a bit dreary and frigid here, so I was happy to see this pretty yellow primrose plant in the supermarket the other day and had to bring it home.
Yellow always makes me smile!


And Rosie definitely makes me smile with her antics!
Lacking a box to sit in, she nestled into my mum's needlepoint frame
which happened to be on a bed!


Love her pretty, serene green eyes!

I've been making the rounds of everyone's blogs and can see that we are all dealing with winter as best we can, close to home and far away. I hope that this is the beginning of a happy and satisfying week for everyone who reads this!

Happy Monday!!

4 comments:

Simone said...

I am glad you have been having a creative time Judy and you have produced some lovely work. The antique shoes are beautifully sketched with so much detail.x

Andrea said...

You are most welcome...it was a fun "play day", and we should plan to have another one soon!

Lyn said...

Hello Judy, I too am trying to love my sketchbook, my homework this month was Circles....I have had a play but aim to do a little at the weekend before my next class next Tuesday. I love Rosie, so pretty and making us smile. Xxx

Anne Butera said...

Lovely, Judy!

It's always so fun and inspiring to see what you've been up to!

That primrose is so cheerful and that photo of Rosie made me laugh. :)