Friday, August 19, 2011

Sewing Machine Woes and A Quilt Show!

My last post was about this pillow which I'm making for my great nephew. Unfortunately, the tension is acting up on my sewing machine and my zig-zag stitch is not right, so I've been stuck!


I did decide to add a border around the name and I like that look much better. Today I'm putting some time into cleaning and oiling my machine, which I hope will put it on a path to smoother sewing, so that I can finish up this project!

Meanwhile I went to a great quilt show yesterday with some friends. When I got there I realized that I had forgotten my camera so I enjoyed the quilts without taking pictures, then headed to the vendor's booths - my favorite part!


I bought an array of cotton fat quarters, each one mentally assigned to a future applique.


I loved this piece of border fabric - I'm picturing little frames for fabric portraits!


I love the variations in the design of this Japanese fabric!


And there were wonderful hand dyed wools which I couldn't resist. I'm using these in a project for my sister, which I'll show soon. The scissors are for her also because she has a black cat!

Hopefully I'll get my sewing machine back to work today!

Here's wishing everyone a happy Friday!

4 comments:

Libby Fife said...

What a bummer on the machine! I bet you already tried this but sometimes switching up the needle and thread combo helps to relieve the problems.

Great fabrics! I love the part about you mentally assigning them to projects! In the same boat with you:)

Karen L R said...

Nothing like new fabrics in the stash to inspire new projects!

Simone said...

Wonderful fabrics and a great pair of scissors!

sharon said...

The new border on Finn's pillow is an inspiration! Really makes the pillow.
I absolutely hate it when my machine's tension acts up. It takes a bit of tinkering, but I'm sure you'll get it right. My last tension woes were helped by a new needle and a freshly wound bobbin.
I think quilt shows are amazing places for recharging excitement and getting the creative juices flowing. I cannot resist spending lots of time at the venders' booths. Looks like you made some marvelous choices. Can't wait to see what you do with them. Meanwhile, don't they just look amazing laid out for you to look at? There's a show in Madison in a couple of weeks that I'm looking forward to. It'll be my first in that venue and I hope I don't forget my camera!