Monday, August 15, 2011

Make Something Monday: Little Boy's Pillow

I'm starting the week off with a long overdue project - a pillow for my niece Amy's third son. I had made "name" pillows for her first two boys years ago, but little Finn never received one.

I ran out of the teddy bear/baseball fabric I'd used on the first two, but found some brightly colored fabric that will do the trick, with a different baseball fabric for the back.


I started off by putting fusible web on the back of my red fabric, then making the letters of Finn's name backwards so that they'd read correctly when I cut them out and ironed them on.


I ironed the cut out letters on to white fabric, then spent a few minutes figuring out the best placement of the name on the patterned fabric. Then I cut out a window in the car fabric and placed it over the edges of the white. I had previously put fusible web on the back of both fabrics and I fused them to light interfacing to stabilize everything for machine applique.


I still have to zig-zag stitch the letters and the edges of the window, pin the rickrack and finish the pillow, but I feel like I accomplished a lot today. I hope to post a picture of the finished pillow tomorrow.

It was a dull and rainy day and, after looking around for Rosie and Angus for a while, I discovered them tucked away on a chair, under the dining room table! A good day to snuggle up together!


I hope everyone has had a fantastic Monday!

7 comments:

Lyn said...

great cushions, and like you say a good place to snuggle under the table on a grey old day.
xxx

Libby Fife said...

My Toby cat likes to do the same thing!

Very cute pillows too:)

Nan and =^..^= said...

What a wonderful gift!
I love the expressions of Rosie and Angus snuggling under the table on the chair, it's such a great photo!

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy,

Happy belated anniversary to you!! Thirty-four years is wonderful, and the two of you look so sweet together!:o)

What cute pillows and know Finn will love his! You are so talented. I sew a little but when I do I enjoy it a whole bunch.

It feels wonderful visiting here today and must catch up on what I've missed while away on break. Continue to enjoy a happy and creative week!

Smiles♥

Beverly

She Who Doodles said...

the pillows are darling. don't you just love making things for kids? the prints, colors are so vivid.

Anne Butera said...

What a great present. Love that car fabric. Thanks for sharing your technique.

I love it when kitties sleep on dining room chairs. Yours sure look sweet snuggling.

lisa stubbs said...

The name pillow looks great, fantastic work! you have two gorgeous cats with great names!