Friday, August 26, 2011

Forces of Nature

Today the news is filled with warnings about the coming of Hurricane Irene. I've spent my day running errands, buying food, stocking up on bottled water and generally preparing for the storm. My husband's flight from Japan has been cancelled, for which I'm both grateful and anxious. I would love to have him here with me, but I'm certainly glad he won't be flying into a storm.

To distract myself, I hung a poster I had purchased recently at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in New York. It's an image of Spring in Central Park by Adolf Dehn. I had it framed as soon as we returned and it will always remind me of a very special day.


Then I turned my attention to the mantle in the same room. I found a fabric art piece I had done a couple of years ago, pulled some pretty colored glasses of my mother's from the china cabinet, put a hydrangea blossom in each one and added some other items from around the house.



The hydrangeas have now turned many lovely shades of blue, green and purple!

I'm hoping that the forecasters' predictions are not fully realized and that the storm does not cause too much destruction. This is a good time to take a deep breath, keep in touch with loved ones and hunker down for the duration. I have a feeling that everything will be fine.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Both are beautiful pieces and what a nice display of hydrangeas. Sending all good thoughts that the storm is not as bad as feared and that your hubby is able to catch a safe flight soon.
Stay inspired!
Michelle

Libby Fife said...

You really made two lovely little spots of calm and peacefulness!

Hope Bill is alright and gets home safe and sound (eventually!).

Karen L R said...

i often find comfort and calm in nesting, too, judy.

keeping you in my thoughts. snuggle with your sweet kitties!

Nan and =^..^= said...

Your mantle looks beautiful! I have found myself rearranging things in my house the past few weeks and it is a comforting feeling. Hope the weather isn't too bad where you live and that you don't lose power. It is raining here and the wind is picking up.
Angus and Rosie should be good company
to ride out the storm with and I hope Bill gets home soon!

sharon said...

Been worried about you. It's good Bill will be on the ground while Irene has her way. Like you I find myself as Karen said, nesting, when I'm anxious. What a good word to describe how we channel our female energies into life affirmation when surrounded by forces we cannot control.
May the skies clear soon leaving you wondering what all the fuss was about.
Warm regards.