Sunday, October 17, 2010

Breast Cancer Awareness Month

Sometimes all the pink ribbons appearing everywhere during October can seem overwhelming.
Even I, a breast cancer survivor, have wondered how effective my small donation would be in helping to stop this disease. Then I received a statement from my health insurance company, telling me that my recent mammogram was billed at over $700.  It was a mammogram that pinpointed my tumor 15 years ago, and I thought - what about all the women who don't have health insurance and can't afford to be screened?
My sister-in-law Tracy alerted me to a website, Images of Health, set up by Fujifilm Medical Systems,   which makes it possible to donate to the National Breast Cancer Foundation by telling your own or a loved one's breast cancer story. I put mine on there, and hope you'll check the site out and perhaps learn something and maybe even share a story of your own.
There is just too much cancer afflicting too many people these days, and breast cancer is affecting more and more younger women and even men.
Let's all do what we can to support research and make early screening available to all women.

3 comments:

Karen L R said...

nicely done, judy.
thank you.
and happy birthday tomorrow.
xoxox

tea time and roses said...

Hello Dear Judy,

A lovely and sharing post. I read your story, a beautiful and inspiring one for sure. Thanks so much for sharing. Enjoy a most lovely week my friend.

Smiles♥

Beverly

quiltcat said...

Thank you for sharing your story, Judy! Continued good health to you!