Thursday, June 3, 2010

"Spirit Cloth"

Textile artwork by Jude Hill
Softening order
Last weekend, I became intrigued with the work of Jude Hill over at Spirit Cloth. I have visited this site before, but suddenly became aware of Jude's influence on other artists, and my search led me from one blog to another and one beautiful piece of hand stitchery after another.
Jude's work appeals to me because I love hand stitching, and her process allows the design to develop as the work is being done. The stitch itself has its own integrity, is not always perfect, and tells a story, as well as adding beauty to the piece. Cloth is layered, sometimes woven, and always respected as a beautiful substance.

Even though I'll be doing this my own way, I thank Jude for being an inspiration! There is a nice write-up about her here.

5 comments:

tea time and roses said...

Hello Judy!

Just one of the things that make blogland a special place, inspiration inspiration!:o) I visited Jude's site and a lovely artist she is. I can hardly wait to see your finished piece and can imagine just how lovely it will be.

Enjoy your stitching and enjoy a lovely day. Take care my friend.

Smiles...

Beverly

jude said...

aw, hey thanks.... i will soon be sharing some of the marvelous quilt weaving going on in the current cloth to cloth workshop that is in process... what a group has gathered there....thanks agin for your kind words and for picking up some inspiration from me. how flattering....

Karen L R said...

I have long been a fan of Jude's work, and love her kitty, too. Be sure to post pictures of your progress Judy! Love your colors...

Libby Fife said...

So positive to be influenced by someones work. I love it even more when you can incorporate your own style and materials into their concept. I am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with:)

Joyce said...

I'll be interested to see where this takes you.