Sunday, December 21, 2008

Just in Time!

My mom was an avid needleworker. She did beautiful crochet, needlepoint, knitting, embroidery and wool rug hooking. No wonder I love handwork and textiles! I can close my eyes and picture her fingers flying as she worked on a baby blanket, an embroidered tablecloth or an intricate knitting project.
When we cleared out my parents' apartment after their deaths, I took home a plastic bin containing her needlework supplies. Among the yarn, needles and embroidery hoops, I found  this unfinished scarf, still on the needles, neatly folded, along with the hand written directions.
Since I haven't knitted in about 40 years, I asked my talented friend SooKhim to finish the scarf for me. She graciously finished it, blocked it and delivered it to me just in time for the frigid weather we're now experiencing! I think my mom would love that the scarf is finished and I can feel her warmth and love wrapped around me when I wear it.
Thank so much, SooKhim!! 

5 comments:

Shell said...

A great christmas gift to give to yourself. Now everytime you wear the scarf, she'll right there with you. I know your mom is happy the scarf right now.

Terri Stegmiller said...

The scarf is so beautiful and love the color of it!

Anonymous said...

what a gorgeous scarf that is.

summer girl said...

Judy...the scarf is beautiful...and such a wonderful, loving way to honor your mother's memory and the gifts she has left you!

Gayle said...

Merry Christmas and thank you for your kindness this year. :-)