Tuesday, January 15, 2008

January Wall Hanging - Stage One


I have put together a first draft of my January art quilt, which will most likely end up as a wall hanging. I've been pinning pieces of fabric to a sheet of foam core, then leaning it against a wall which I pass by frequently. This gives me a quick impression of what stands out as blatantly out of kilter and which parts seem to "flow". Even seeing this photo has made me see some things I want to change. I've added some fabrics to the original mix and eliminated the leaf shape I thought I would use - that will be used in some future piece. So far, I'm happy with the general look. I didn't, after all, use any hand painted fabrics. I do want to finish it by the end of the month, so I'm keeping it simple!
We had quite a snowstorm in Massachusetts yesterday. The trees are heavy with snow and it really looks like a winter wonderland. I'll see how hard it is to maneuver out there in a while when I go out to tutor!!

5 comments:

tea time and roses said...

Hi Judy!

The quilt is just lovely, and your color choice is just divine!! It is beautiful! Guess what!! My lovely package from you is here! Oh my Judy everything is just beautiful. I could not believe all the lovely things you sent my way!! Beautiful lace, papers, stickers, handmade papers, cardstock, beautiful buttons and more! Thank you so much Judy, what a beautiful gift. I will never forget your kindness.

Thank You!!!!

Beverly

Terri Stegmiller said...

Looking great Judy. I see some very interesting fabrics in there.

Unknown said...

ISN'T CREATIVITY WONDERFUL!!! Your wall hanging is unique and intriguing! Am I to understand that you are still working on this?

I have been making little friendship books for our Women's Retreat this weekend. I have 9 of them to do and I would love to embellish them even more than I have. They are turning out nicely, but I just don't have the extra time. As Women's Leader, I other things to accomplish.

OH AND DID I RECEIVE SOMETHING SPECIAL YESTERDAY!!! MY VALENTINE KIT...and is it ever so sweet! I can't wait to come back from Retreat and begin to make some magic! THANKS SO MUCH, JUDY, FOR ALL OF THE WONDERFUL GOODIES! I am soooooo blessed!

HUGE HUGS,
KJ

Gayle said...

This is what I love about blogging...I would not think of using foam core when designing a quilt. That's a great idea. This is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Anonymous said...

What rich, rich colors, Judy. Looks like you are on one creative roll, here! Am a first time visitor, and enjoying your blog. I so agree with your blog world observations, in your Creative Plans post, too. Well said! You visited me near Thanksgiving, and I am just now able to get back to you. Great to meet you! Have a super day. :-)